Does your child fear visiting the dentist? Find out how sedation dentistry could make it so much easier.
Does your child have a bit of difficulty during their dental visits? Here at the Miami office of dentists Dr. Mario Martinez and Dr. Rebecca Lenard, we offer sedation dentistry to children who are nervous about these appointments.
Read on to learn how sedation dentistry can make it easy for children of all ages to feel more at ease and receive more efficient care.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is one way that our South Miami family dentists are able to help children of all ages feel more comfortable when receiving dental care. Sedation dentistry won’t put your child to sleep, but it will help them feel more relaxed during their visit. In some cases, children may even fall asleep during their procedure. The most common types of sedation dentistry include:
- Oral medication: This anti-anxiety pill is given to your child about 30 minutes to one hour before their procedure. This medication will help them feel more relaxed and calm throughout the procedure; however, the medication’s effects can last several hours.
- Nitrous oxide: Also referred to as laughing gas, nitrous oxide is an easy way to help kids feel more calm and collected. Nitrous oxide will be administered to your child throughout their procedure. Once the procedure is over, the mask is removed and the effects of this type of sedation will wear off quickly.
For surgery and more intensive procedures we also offer intravenous (IV) sedation.
What are the benefits of sedation dentistry?
As you might imagine, making a trip to the dentist an easy one for your child offers tons of benefits for you, your little one and even your dentist. Some of these benefits include:
- A relaxed, easier, and stress-free dental procedure for your child.
- Your child is able to receive the dental care and treatment they need for a healthy smile.
- Providing a physically more comfortable setting for children with special needs and physical limitations (sedation dentistry can also reduce muscle pain, stiffness, and other issues associated with lying in a dental chair).
- Experiencing a faster and more efficient dental procedure since your dentist may be able to accomplish more while your child is relaxed. This could result in fewer trips to the dentist’s office and less work needed.
Interested? Give us a call
Interested in learning more about pediatric sedation dentistry and how our South Miami general dentist could make your child’s next dental procedure or cleaning a breeze? If so, call South Miami Pediatric Dental Associates at (305) 666-2068.